| Peace y'all! |
| Ketchup on pizza??? |
| Celebrating Bao Shi Han's (Krystal) 15th birthday, which is Feb. 3rd. |
| Say, "Chineeeeeese"! |
The way it goes is that they are here to learn better English, or at least, put into practice what they have been learning in China since they were very small. I dropped them off at their school each morning at 8:30 and they have class most days until noon. Then they go shopping, go to theme parks, go bowling, and other field trips with the rest of the group (there was a total of 10 kids this time, all from China). Then we picked them up at 5:30 each evening, except for the days they go to the theme parks, which get them home pretty late. On Sunday's they spend the entire day with us. Each day they would come home with candy and gifts for each of us. They were so sweet and affectionate. They always wanted lots of hugs and were happy to get back home to us, telling me, "mom, I miss you today." They told Matt several times, "You good Dad," and gave him TONS of candy (which is his love language BTW.) I mean, it's just an all around amazing experience.
Krystal was not feeling well by then end of week 1. I (along with her Chinese leader, Kathryn) took her to the doctor last Monday. She had been running a low grade fever and complaining of a sore throat. Kathryn and I hit it off. She lives in Hong Kong. I was hestitant to tell her about our adoption for fear that she might be offended, but I couldn't resist. I showed her a picture and she told me all about China's one child policy. She was so engaging. She invited us to stay with her in Hong Kong and told me she would show us around town. I tried telling her that our agency plans all of that for us and she said, "No. It too expensive that way. I show you." :) We swapped email addresses and I thanked her and told her I'd be in touch. We may not even fly into Hong Kong.
While at the doctor's office, Krystal was napping in a chair while Kathryn was snapping pictures of everything. It was quite funny. I asked her about medical care in China. She said you wait in a long line outside for a very long time and then the doctor calls you in, checks you out, and sends you out the door in like 5 minutes. She loved our pediatrician too. She wanted her picture taken with him as well. He was tickled and took great time talking to them and making them feel loved. It turned out that Krystal was fine. Just a virus of some sort. She perked up as soon as he said that and that was that. A little nap and some tylenol and she was good to go!
There is so much more to this story, but I gotta run. Stay tuned...
Blessings,
Rebecca
Wonderful post Rebecca, I hope you and the girls keep in touch. When you travel later this year to Chongqing (Woohoo!) spend a two or three days in Hong Kong, it's a fun city to visit and we've enjoyed our stay there during both of our adoptions! Phil
ReplyDeleteThx Phil!
ReplyDeleteHey Rebecca - we've had an exchange student with us from S Korea for the entire school year - and like you - it's been a true joy!! Great hearing about the family!
ReplyDeletehugs - aus and co.
Rebecca, it was so great to meet you tonight! I will be praying for you as your family comes closer to bringing your sweet girl home. Here is a quick video about The Philip Hayden Foundation (the orphanage I was telling you about for children with special needs).
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DigEy7oELnA
Also, here is their website:
www.chinaorphans.org
Blessings!
Kate