McKee Family

McKee Family
Habakkuk 2:3 "For the vision is yet for the appointed time; it hastens toward the goal and it will not fail. Though it tarries, wait for it; for it will certainly come, it will not delay."

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Hello Again:)

I am finding it harder and harder to find time to blog lately. I am also having a bit of a writers block. So much has happened in the past 2 & 1/2 years that I simply do not have the energy to empty myself of it. I have been asked to speak at a ladies event at church next Wednesday night on grace. My portion is entitled, "Grace To Love An Orphan" (which I did not title, BTW). Because as we adoptives familes know, it was ever bit as much about God's grace for me as it was about His grace for the orphan... maybe even more so. While I am super excited and so honored to do it, I am scared that I will have a hard time keeping it to 10 short minutes. How do you take 2 & 1/2 years of a miraculous journey and spit it out in 10 minutes and still express the awe and magnitude of all God has done? I am sure it'll be just fine, but please think of me and pray for me next week. Pray that the Lord will give me HIS words and that the Holy Spirit will guide me and that I will obedient to share whatever He puts on my heart. Right now as it stands I am just sharing (briefly) the story of our timeline of events and how we are doing thus far, but there is another whole layer to it that is about me and how God has changed me through this process.  Our church's mission is in planting churches and not necessarily in orphan care and world missions. I am hoping that this opportunity will open the door to more conversations about orphan care within our church. So please be in prayer about that as well.

On to the latest...

ASHLYN HOPE...
Still amazing. Still sweet as can be. Still laughing and making the most of her circumstances. She started 7th grade 2 weeks ago. Our kids homeschool but go to a christian curriculum program that meets once a week. It's turning out to be a great fit for all of us. She is doing really good in math. That's really all the homework she is doing for now and they let her come for free:) We are still working on 2nd grade phonics with Abeka. She reads on about a 2nd grade level.
She is LOUD and talking ALOT these days... Oh my word, she makes my head spin. Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk. And she likes to interrupt me when I'm in other conversations, which is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves. She has wonderful manners other than that though... better than my other kids, that's for sure. She does not slurp her food like most Chinese kids, but she gets it ALL over her face. It's quite silly and we have to remind her to use her napkin. She'll say, "no, I don't need it" and we say, "oh yeah? Go look in the mirror!" and she gets this huge smile and says, "Uh-oh, that's ok". :)
She and Ansley are connected at the hip. I am sad to think of what life was like before she was here. Ansley has said repeatedly that she is thankful for the companionship of an older sister. They are almost the same developmental age and have similar interests. They are giggly and playful and helpful and just...AMAZING. I don't know what I'd do without them. They are my biggest helpers around the house. They babysit the little girls when I need to run the boys around town to sports practices or make a fast run to the grocery store, they empty and load the dishwasher, they sort and fold laundry (sometimes without me even asking), they play with the little girls, dress them when I'm in a pinch, and work odd jobs (stuffing envelopes) for daddy to earn big slurpees. I honestly could not do my job as full-time mother and homeschooler to 6 kids without them. When I hear the laughter coming from their bedroom I want to pinch myself. Who would've thought in a million years??? Certainly not me. God is good.

ABIGAIL JOY...
Miss Abby started kindergarten at the school for kids with special needs 2 weeks ago and she is doing fabulous. She has 3 adoring teachers and 12 sweet classmates. She is becoming quite ornery and stinky lately though. She likes to play with scissors and has cut her hair twice now. Ansley caught her in the act for a 3rd time today before she actually chopped anything. Thankfully you can't really tell and she still looks cute as a button:)
She isn't giving as much love to Averleigh lately and I'm a bit worried that the behaviors at school are rubbing off on her. She got in trouble for the first time ever at church 2 weeks ago when she and another little adopted fellow (who's deaf) got into it over a stick.
She doesn't cry when Matt teases her anymore, which is a huge relief. She goes to him as soon as she walks in the door from school and puts her arms up for hugs and kisses. She is saying a few words and signing more. She does "potty" "more" and "thank you". She is understanding much of what we tell her and responds to simple commands (goodness, I make her sound like a dog!).
Overall she is doing really well and growing up so fast! The change in both of our girls is remarkable. When I look back on pictures from China it seems as if they've both aged by 2 or 3 years.

ALEX...
He is growing into a young man right before my eyes. He's sensitive and smart and goofy and just flat out COOL. He is well-liked by all (including the girls unfortunately). He's changing and growing and eating SO much. Right now he's playing football and enjoying being one of the big guys for a change. As soon as football season is over he goes straight into basketball, which is his favorite and best sport. He is really looking forward to that. We are still working our way through the ups and downs of parenting a teenager. It's not an easy job, but very rewarding on the days we have those "a-ha" moments. He's a great talker and shows great discernment for such a young guy. There's something very special about Alex and we tell him that often. He is very hard on himself. We are learning as we go here and I'm thankful for little victories and trusting God for great things. We are starting to talk girls, driving, college, and career... my-oh-my.

ANSLEY...
She is a sweetheart and such a great kid. She's confident and funny and helpful and SMART. She thinks ahead and helps me remember the things I forget... daily. She likes to cook. Eggs are her specialty, although she would tell you that she prefers to bake. She makes friends easily and is eager to include Ashlyn. She just told me that what she likes most about sharing a room with Ashlyn is that it's like having a sleepover with her best friend every night. Pinch me, please:) She loves to go with my mom on catering jobs. She loves to babysit her cousins Jacob (3, autistic) and Liam (1). And they totally ADORE her. When she goes over to my sister-in-laws house she organizes her closets for her:) She has aspirations to be a hair-stylest, shop owner, and movie producer.

AIDAN...
My little frog-loving Dennis-The-Menace, but the sweetest Dennis-The-Menace you'll ever meet. He is such a heartbreaker, but he makes ALL of his siblings crazy, especially Ashlyn. He loves to poke and prod and get a reaction out of her and she's yet to realize that if she could just ignore it he'd quit. She just can't understand why he acts the way he does. She is sweet to him though and does give him many 2nd chances. He'll bug the crap out of her all day long and then they'll be on the couch making Rainbow Loom bracelets together and I'll hear him say, "Thank you for teaching me how to do it Ashlyn. I'm sorry I've been so pesty." He was the first pick of the draft this year in Little League. He is a natural at baseball and we have no idea where he gets it. It is really quite something to watch him out there. He just gets in this zone... so confident. We are so proud of him and thankful that he has an outlet for all that extra energy. He is affectionate and smart and always laughing.

AVERLEIGH...
The sweetest little love I know. I love the age she's at right now (3). She melts my heart when she walks in the room. She's sunshine and lollipop's always. She is changing so much and learning so much... It's heartbreaking to think that my baby is not a baby anymore. She loves her Abby and pets her to death. She has learned how to spell her insanely long name and we are working on writing the letter "A". She has her own curriculum now and loves to do school work. She sings the calendar song and takes it all very seriously. She is everyone's favorite little person:) I love her little voice. She says the cutest things and has a great memory. She's quite logical for a 3-yr-old and comes out with the cutest phrases. She can also be a bit bossy:)

Matt is still in a hard season business-wise. Real Estate is so elusive right now. He's busier than ever, but more frustrated than ever. Deals fall apart more than they come together due to low appraisals and other "stuff". Surgeries for Ashlyn loom ahead. Home repairs are waiting and costly... Business is on the horizon though and we look forward to getting these things out of the way. It seems like so many things are on hold right now and it's been difficult to remain content.

I love what I do. Being a wife & a mom is the most rewarding job in the world. It's been a challenge for me lately to remember details and important things though. I get very distracted and forgetful. I am constantly interrupted. It's hard to find time alone and I am an introvert. I have to get up earlier, go to bed earlier, and sneak away sometimes to catch my breath. The days are full and sometimes exhausting. I find I have to take deep breaths alot. I get anxious when I am constantly on the go. I wouldn't trade any of it for the world though. I do not take my life for granted. I'm blessed to have a supportive husband who works from home too:)

I am considering making this blog private very soon for several reasons. I have no idea how many people actually read my blog on a regular basis. If you would like to continue following along, please let me know. I want to be a source for other potential adoptive families and I love keeping in touch with my bloggy friends, but I'm not sure I want just "anyone" reading the personal details of our life anymore.

What's going on in your life? How can I pray for you?

Blessings,
Rebecca

7 comments:

  1. I would love to keep reading your blog. We brought our youngest (7th) child home from China in November. I understand you wanting to go private. After his February heart surgery I stopped blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to keep reading your blog as well! I just love adoption and am actually getting ready to make a move to the wonderful world of Ch!n@.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebecca ~ I really appreciate that you take the time to blog...even when you are weary! You have a HUGE job, being a Wife, a Mommy and a Teacher, along with all of the other things that seem to fall under the "Mother" category. I will pray for you as you Speak to the Ladies group. I know that He will give you the words that need to be heard. I hope that you'll send me an invitation to continue following your blog! Your family has become special to me. Wish I lived next door to you. I would definitely be there to help, however I could. Love in Him ~ Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love reading your blog! i hope of adopting some day (i'm a 22 year old college student so not yet haha) and I interned at an adoption agency that dealt with Chinese adoption and have been obsessed ever since!
    -Mollie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have loved reading your blog as well. Have adopted twice in the last few years but your blog has changed my heart on older child adoption. I would love to still be able to hear your heart through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sukyee28,
    I'm so sorry... I accidentally hit "delete" instead of "publish" and now your comment is lost:(
    But thank you for the kind words! I love it when you guys reply to my posts. It's nice to know I'm not just talking to myself;)
    Blessings,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback from my bloggy friends, so comment away and I'll visit your blog too! However, if you're just lurking anonymously and leaving snarky remarks, this isn't the blog for you. My heart is always to reflect the love of Jesus and be a source of encouragement to others. If anything you read here gives you a check in your spirit, please feel free to lovingly disagree with me in grace:)